Year 1 Autumn 2
Light and Dark
- To develop creative responses to the text through drama role play and story telling.
- To write in role to explore and develop empathy for a character.
- To sequence events in books.
- To draw inferences on the basis of what is being said and done.
- To discuss favourite words and phrases in stories.
- Daily phonic lessons and handwriting practice.
Core texts and stimulus for learning:
The Owl who was afraid of the dark by Jill Tomlinson
Little Moon by Stuart and Nicola Clarke
Sun Moon and Stars – Information Text
The Bear and the Hare Christmas animation.
- Continue with daily counting practice from 0-100. Count forwards and backwards in ones, twos, fives and tens.
- Focus on recognising the place value of each digit in a 2-digit number by partitioning numbers into tens and ones.
- Finding one more and one less than a given number.
- Compare and order numbers to 20 and beyond using the < and > symbols.
- Use knowledge of place value to add and subtract two digit and one digit numbers.
- Continue to work on fluent and rapid recall of key number facts especially bonds for all numbers to 10.
- To investigate the effect of light and dark on plant growth.
- To find out about nocturnal animals and the ways in which they adapt to the night time.
- To lean how our eyes work and how darkness effects vision.
- To recognise and describe reflective, translucent and transparent materials.
- To explore the night sky.
- To find out about the Sun, Moon and Planets.
- Creating Remembrance Day prayers.
Mary our mother.
- To know that God asked Mary to be the mother of his son and to reflect on her response.
- Know that Advent is a time when we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Talk about the preparations we can make.
- Know the story of the birth of Jesus and understand that God sent Jesus to help us.
- To learn about Diwali the festival of light.
- Investigate countries that experience differing seasons and periods of darkness.
Art and design
- Design and make glow jars.
- Use charcoal to create shadows and monochrome pieces of art.
- To learn about and appreciate artists who explore light and dark and create silhouettes.
- To study the painting The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh.
- Christmas crafts.
- Keeping ourselves safe.
- What makes a good friend.
- Exploring our core value of Perseverance.
P.E – Come to school in PE kit:
- Monday – P.E
Wednesday – Dance